Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Lehigh Valley Greenways Festival (26-Sept-2015)


This past Saturday I put up a small display at the Lehigh Valley Greenways Festival, held at Jacobsburg Environmental Education Center. I spent the day talking about this blog with passers by and selling native plants to help support the Northampton County Junior Conservation School. The attendance was not that great, but enough people did go by to make the day worth it. I did meet one other person who works on cleaning up Beltzville and they were extremely happy to see that others are doing the same and so was I. 
                                      

Volunteers from the Conservation School ran a small concession stand. Sadly because of the poor attendance the Conservation School did not make any money off of the event and the demographic of attendees did not work out well for student recruitment to the school for next year. I think a lot of people did show up to the event, it was just how the vendors were spaced out that led to the lack of attendance by the ed center itself.


One of the educators from Jacobsburg pointed this out to me. It is a Monarch chrysalis. Very soon the adult Monarch will emerge and start heading south. I was a bit surprised to see this. Around my area most of the adults have already emerged and can be seen flying around and hitting the last flowers in bloom before they start their long journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment