Monday, September 7, 2015

Lehigh River (7-Sept-2015)


Mostly non-recyclables today. Almost two full bags. A bit more than half a contractors bag full of plastics, a couple buckets and three whitewater paddles. This was more than I pulled off the river the last time I went through this area and I didn't do nearly as long a stretch.


The river seemed to be around a foot or more lower than the last time I ran this upper section. It made navigating the river much harder, but it allowed me to stop at more places for pick-ups.


First skateboard this year. For some reason a shoelace was tied to one of the trucks. That actually helped in securing it to the kayak.


I am going to try to walk back to this shopping cart this week to get it out of there. It was a tad bit heavy for the kayak. I talked to a ranger on the way out and he was nice enough to tell me where to take it for disposal. He also took all of the garbage off my hands. Everyone that I have talked to from the DCNR has been extremely helpful this year and I thank all of you for this!


This was partially buried in the riverbank. It must have spent years in the river and the only remaining pieces were the head and an arm.


Hats, spectacles and cans are common wash ups on this specific shoreline.


I couldn't get to this pile the last time I went through. The lower waters allowed me to reach it and clear out all the plastics.


This bothered me a little bit. From the river the bucket was clearly visible. Had any of the whitewater organizations bothered to pick it up they would have found these two paddles that were just out of sight.


The view up river towards Glen Onoco. 


This paddle was clearly visible from the river. I don't understand why it was still there when I went by. I would have thought someone paddling or floating by would have taken it. 


So many shoes and shoe inserts. After finding so many water shoes I really would not recommend them for river use. They seem to come off way to easy.


A deer rump. When the ranger took the trash off of me I told them there was a partial deer in one of the bags. He did not give me a good look and I quickly explained. 


If you look to the top left, could you please tell me who wears loafers on the river? If you are wondering how I found a pair of sandals, it was easy. They were both attached to a severed branch, that was around six foot long.


When I picked this up I figured it was full of saw dust and dead meal worms like every other one I have found this year. I took the top off to dump the contents out and was happy to discover it was lures in good condition.


More buckets, more shoes, more shoe inserts, more bottles and some other stuff.


More of the same.


The serving tray was different. Pretty much anything you can think of can be found on the river. None of it should be, but if you look hard enough you can find it.


At this point my kayak was weighed down. There are two sets of rapids after this bridge that I didn't think I could make it through without swamping the boat. I knew it would be an easy takeout at the bridge, but it was my best option. It was a really short trip today distance wise, yet took forever.


A little bit more from an island before I got off the river. The red and clear ball still lit up. If it didn't have batteries inside, Penny would have received a new toy today.


Just imagine loosing your water shoe, then stepping on this license plate edgewise. This photo should be a good enough reason to wear appropriate footwear on the river.


This is where my photos end, but the trip didn't end here. The garbage and the boat had to be taken out to the access road. The trail wasn't long, but had a very steep overgrown area to get through. Halfway up one of my garbage bags gave way and the contents went everywhere. Luckily I had extra bags and I made sure to leave nothing behind. I was also lucky to have help at the end.

I have just started a fundraising campaign through GoFundMe to continue this project into next year. If you like what I have been doing this year and would like to contribute go to Taking Out The Trash Fundraiser



No comments:

Post a Comment