Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Schuylkill River (15-Sept-2015)


Another full boat today. It was a nice day to be out and I was very happy that I did not find anymore needles. I am going to keep this up this week and hopefully this area will soon be free of at least the recyclables that line the banks.


Such an easy paddle without a trash filled boat. Not so simple on the way back. 


You can see there is a big difference between the two photos. Yet there is still a lot of trash. Everything left behind is garbage or glass. I have to try to figure out somewhere to go with it. There aren't any trash cans or dumpsters around the launch so I think I am going to contact the Fish and Boat Commission to try to arrange a pick-up. 


Longtail Salamander. I have found a lot more of this species than I thought I would see this year. Most years I only see one or two and this year I have found a good number of them.


What is this? A beanbag toss game would be my guess. Any other ideas? I did not have anywhere to go with it so it is still on the riverside.


Five and a quarter bags total today. 


I am still trying to think of ways to float more with my kayak. The main problem though it my car is at capacity with this much. 


As you can imagine, it was a slow paddle back. The bags themselves cause drag and with these all being bags that are reused they have holes in them, collect water and create even more drag.

If you would like to see this blog continue into 2016 visit the following link and make a contribution: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash


1 comment:

  1. "What is this? A beanbag toss game would be my guess. Any other ideas? I did not have anywhere to go with it so it is still on the riverside."

    The game is called "Toss-Across" There are generic knock-offs, too,

    ReplyDelete