Friday, September 18, 2015

Schuylkill River (18-Sept-2015)


Tried to top yesterday, but that just couldn't happen. The site I was working on today ran out of recyclables and I had too much to paddle to a new site. Still close to six bags today. 


I worked the highest litter line down today. It has been a while since I have had to deal with greenbriar. It is one of my favorite plants, but I never can avoid walking through it and always get cut up. One thing I left out yesterday was when reaching for a bottle somehow I got a greenbriar thorn between my finger and nail. It was a little painful and I can still feel it. Needless to say I was a tad bit more careful around the briar today.


The pile next to the bag was what was taken out from the photos above this one.


What you can't really see in the first photo was all of the bottles underneath the pine in the upper left. There were bottles on bottles covered in needles underneath that tree.


This was the largest buildup of the day. It is also where I found the coolest item of the day and it was alive!


I believe this is Isa textula, a Crowned Slug Moth caterpillar. This is the first one I have ever seen and it made my day! It isn't everyday I see a new species even with insects.


The rest of this site were small piles like this, most closer to the bank. It didn't take long after the last big pile a couple photos up.



We make all of these items that resemble critters. Then they are disposed of in ways that can be harmful to real critters. I wonder how many rubber and plastic ducks are littered on our rivers banks? I find a lot. Hello Kitty and Fish, not as much.


Had to throw a bag out in the river again today to make it onto the water. 


Always happy when I make it back to the launch. It was another slow paddle back today and I am tired after this week. Will be taking this weekend off from collecting. I have a lot of other obligations this weekend. I really wish I could be out cleaning up our natural areas everyday. 

If you like this blog, the work I am doing and you would like to see it continue through 2016 follow this link to contribute: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment