Monday, September 14, 2015

Appalachian Trail (13-Sept-2015)


Penny and I met up with Andrew for a night hike last night along the Appalachian Trail. It is an area that I used to go to often and I have cleaned it up already a couple times this year.


Many people visit the large rock out crop at the site. A good number of those who visit decide not to take their drink containers with them and like to leave them in the cracks in crevices between the rocks.


Every time I have visited this site this year there has been new graffiti. 610 seems to be popular now and I have seen it tagged in multiple places. I will never be able to make sense of individuals going to a place to enjoy the view and beauty, then spray painting around the area.


Gaps like this can be used by wildlife as a temporary shelter or den site. If these places are full of trash they are no longer suitable habitat. I was able to get all of these items out of this gap, but it was very difficult and time consuming.


The view of Allentown from the outcrop we were on.


Penny made it to the top, only interested in the treats in my hand and I am pretty sure she could care less about the view.

I will be co-presenting a talk at Lehigh University for the Lehigh Valley Watershed Conference on the decline of amphibians in the Lehigh Valley this October. Today I need to put some more time into research on the topic and work on the powerpoint. Although I am not going out today, I will be attending a town hall meeting tonight with Representative Matt Cartwright. I will try to post later on how it goes. I am really not sure what to expect with how these town hall meetings are set up and run.

If you like this blog and would like to see my work continue into 2016 make a contribution and help me take out the trash in 2016: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment