Thursday, September 17, 2015

Schuylkill River (17-Sept-2015)


Six bags and the back hull was full!


The day started off slow. Paddling up river I followed along a steep bank. In this section all of the trash piles were in the water and often behind overhanging branches.


Spots like this are such a pain. I have to carefully use my paddle to pull out one bottle at a time. I do my best not to disturb how things are or break branches while removing the items.


I found a small area where I was able to get out of my boat. From this little landing I was able to skirt behind some rhododendron against the bank and get to piles inaccessible with the kayak. I didn't feel comfortable taking the camera back with me so this is just a shot of everything I pulled out of there.


And it starting filling up. I continued on up the bank and filled another bag before I was able to find some sort of access to get out again.


Killdeer. I know I have put up photos of these birds before, but I like them, so there will probably be more photos of them in the future.


Do child's dolls have a tag on them that instruct parents to throw the doll in the river when the kids no longer want them? They seem to be in every river. 


This little painted turtle was not thrilled when I picked him up to say hello. He was ready to try to take a finger off.


Found a small trail that came down to the water so I paddled over to it. The muddy bottom was only inches from the surface and I had to push my way in to get to solid ground. Out of the boat, I took a moment just to take this in. It really is spectacular if you ignore the trash.


This was half stuck in the muddy bank. I wonder how many a below the surface of the mud. Something I think about every time I make a bad step and sink in.


Painted turtle shell.


It took me a while to find a way back to this. From the river I could hear the plastics expanding and contracting in the sun. The muddy bank between this and the river extends for about thirty feet so I had to find an access up river and trails that worked back down to it. 


I do not know how extensive this pile is. I think it goes down the river bank pretty far. Next time I make it back I will find out and this area is the priority the next time I set out.


Not only do I find a multitude of soda bottles, but on this trip I even found a fake soda bottle. 


Didn't do such a great job lining up these shots. I think you can still see the difference.


Like other photos there is still a lot left behind. In this case there are still a lot of recyclables. I ran out of bags and I had too many to take back as it was.


I didn't know what I was going to do here. I had six bags and one side of the kayak was against branches so I couldn't load it up the way I wanted. I ended up throwing two of the bags out into the river and attached them after I retrieved them on the water. The paddle back was slow and when I got out near the middle of the river the wind picked up. I was very restricted in my paddle movement and as a result I thought I was going to be blown up river. I was able to make it through and was left with the second puzzle of the day packing six bags into my car. 

Would you like to see me continue to take out the trash? If so contributions can be made here: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment