Sunday, September 6, 2015

Lehigh River (4-Sept-2015)


Another run up the canal and down the river between Sand Island and Canal Park. Again it was a long trip, but I got through it about an hour faster than the last couple times and was only on the water for around six hours. 


This was the haul from the canal. A difference can really be seen from the first run up it this year. It was nice not finding any large trash piles this time and the lack of trash on the canal helped me get done a good amount quicker. The bucket on the right was my least favorite item of the day. When I found it floating in the canal I paddled over to it and slowly popped open the lid to see what it contained. Immediately I could smell oil and inside was multiple oil cans. I recapped the top and went to put the bucket on the bow of my kayak. The bucket had a hole and oil came leaking out over my boat and into the canal. There was nothing I could do about it. The good thing was I was close to the end and I was able to make it back with the majority of the contents still in the bucket.


Just a view of the canal.


How I found the chair in the canal junk photo. It wasn't the easiest to pull out of there.


Back to the river once again. It was different at this point with only less than half a bag of recyclables. The other trips I had already filled one.


First time I ever pulled a wetsuit off the river. The sleeves were stuck in the mud and for a moment I didn't think I would be able to remove it. After several minutes of pulling it finally was out and mud had to be shaken out of the arms and legs. This item was also extremely heavy. 


Cormorant taking flight.


I didn't even see this on any of the other trips through this section. It was tucked behind a debris pile and I just had to take it.


This was the hardest balancing act I have ever done with the kayak. The tricycle did not want to stay on the front and if I leaned at all, both front and back would just slide into the water. I lost everything several times in shallow water and was able to recover everything. At one point not only did I loose everything, but took on a lot of water as well. It was a real pain, but I got through it and got all of it off the river.


The best find of the day for me was this L. L. Bean head lamp. Someone must have left it after camping on the one island. Looked brand new and had new batteries. Got rid of the strap and kept the light. I like finds like this.


This isn't cool at all and I am pretty sure it is illegal. There were two guys who looked like they were around their early twenties taking turns running up and down the riverside in this little dirt bike. It bothers me just as much as the trash. The bike disturbs the riverbed in the sections they run to and running the trails to get to the river is detrimental to the terrestrial habitat along the river. This happens all of the time in this area and because it is not easily accessed it seems to be ignored.


This was all just around the boat ramp at the take out. I have cleaned around the ramp every time I have taken out there so all of this was new. There is also a trash can at the top of the ramp.


This was all of the recyclables for today. Not as much as a normal run through this section, but I did get a lot more garbage this time.


Mmmm..... River tomato juice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment