Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Lehigh River (12-August-2015)


This really is about the maximum my kayak can handle. A bit over a bag of recyclables and a bag of trash. I started where I left off on my kayak trip last time. My goal was to hit the areas that are not accessible walking between Lehigh Gap and Slatington. I did this, but there is still much more to be done in this section and even with the kayak some of the places are incredibly hard to access. 


What a nice day to head out for a paddle. My first stops were the two islands (old bridge bases) that can be seen in this photo on the left and right of the river.


Went to the far island first and rounded up this bunch. It was too thick to take a garbage bag with me so I was glad to find the big yellow kitty litter bucket. It couldn't be ripped, could hold a bunch of stuff and I didn't have to make repeated trips back and fourth.


I expected more on the second island closer to the boat ramp. I often see people fishing there, but not really much trash at all.


This was all on the opposite shore from the ramp. First time I have ever found a large pink disney princess ball or a styrofoam head. The princess met my knife in order fit in the garbage bag and boat. 


What is the story behind this? Where did it come from? How far up the river did it come from?


This was on the opposite shore as well, around a campsite that looks like it hasn't been used for awhile.


A view towards the fall line I knew I was going to have to go through. Generally rapids are fun and these aren't even that intense, but was not looking forward to running any today with a boat full of trash.


Paddling the edge I looked down into the water and this was looking back at me. To me it was the best find of the day. Don't know what I am going to do with it, but for some reason I couldn't throw it out. Halloween will be coming in a couple months. (for a decoration, this will not be worn)


I will try to get back for this. I might be able to patch it. It will depend on how large the hole is and how easily the submerged parts clean up. This was way too big to take down through the rapids, but on a later date I should be able to get it back to the boat ramp.


So I paddled over to this strapped it to the back of my kayak and headed down river. Yeah right, I think I could get this with a canoe though. I just don't know where to go with it. Anyone need an old broken truck cap? Anyone just willing to take it if I get it to Slatington?


There were four sets of rapids similar to this on this section. The first one I made it through fine. The second I lost two plastic container lids and the little blue plastic duck. I retrieved the duck, I couldn't see the lids anywhere. I might find those again another day further down river. The third I made it threw and took on a lot of water. At this point my hull was full with plastic bottles and I had trash on the bow and stern. So the fourth set I walked my boat down the riverbank.


Never try this through any rough water. It is currently my only method to get certain trash off the river, but it really isn't safe. I know what I can and can't do and I have over ten years of experience on the Lehigh and Delaware. So, if you decide you want to help out with taking out the trash, don't do it this way and make sure you have someone else along. After the fourth rapid it was clear sailing to the takeout. Overall it was a great day out on the water. 

Again, as long as they are appropriate all comments are welcome and if you like what I am doing follow my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment