Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Lehigh River (19-Aug-2015)


It was my intention to get out the last two days, but with the heat I just couldn't. The days in the 90's are just too much and I really needed a break. I did get out today and it was still extremely hot. Decided to go to the Lehigh Gap Nature Center property once again and walked the shore up river with Penny. Collected about a bag and a half of plastics, plus a soccer ball. I didn't deal with non-recyclables today. It amazes me how much you can clean up one area and still every time be able to find so many bottles. 


The soccer ball was the best find of the day.


Bottles, bottles, bottles...


And more bottles.


I just would like to add another reminder that if you utilize the river for recreation, you need to respect it. In the past week two individuals have died in sections I have cleaned up this year. The river can be extremely dangerous and you should take every precaution when you paddle, tube or even walk its banks. I have seen a multitude of people drinking on the water this year, many of them do not have on personal floatation devices and a good number of tubers I have seen have their tubes tied together with long ropes. Drinking is never a good idea on the water, but especially in shallow or fast flowing areas. PFD's can help to keep you afloat and always should be worn when running the river. Ropes can entangle, restrict movement and get caught up in strainers or objects on the river bottom. They should not be attached to people or your watercraft. Everyone should enjoy, but respect this resource, it can be deadly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment