Friday, August 28, 2015

Two Weeks of Trash


This is the river trash from the past two weeks. I had to sort it today and take it to the recycling drop off. I took it a bit farther this time, not only to see how much in numbers was there, but also to get an idea of the break down of the most frequently littered items.


The break down was as follows: Water bottles - 539, Aluminum cans - 275, Soda bottles - 198, Gatorade bottles - 95, Half and One Gallon jugs - 20, Buckets - 7, Plastic bottles (not water, soda or gatorade) - 178. That makes 1,312 total recyclable items removed from our rivers in the past two weeks. I there was also an entire bag on non-recyclables mixed in with these items.


Tomorrow I probably not be out collecting trash at all. I will be helping at a Bioblitz and it will take up most of the day. If you have not heard of a Bioblitz before it is an event where qualified individuals identify as many species as possible in a defined search area. So there are generally experts on plants, birds, herps, insects and mammals that can sight id most species encountered. For insects, generally specimens are collected and later identified in a lab because of their vast diversity. I will be helping with reptiles and amphibians. This particular event runs for 24 hours, I am only helping with one of the three time slots.

No comments:

Post a Comment