Saturday, August 22, 2015

Lehigh River (22-August-2015)


Removed a nice amount of garbage off the river this afternoon and a hull full of recyclables. Ran the river from Walnutport to Treichler's Bridge. Some of this area I hadn't been able to get to yet this year and really is only accessible by boat. There was not the normal amount of trash on this section, but a little bit less. Much of the riverbank along the way had private residences on it and it seems that the owners do a good job of keeping their banks clean.


The recyclables for the day. I stopped collecting about half way through my trip. So, like everywhere on the river there is more to be done.


Some of the first items of the day. The box of flies may have been an expensive loss for someone. They were not salvageable. Over the years I have found several boxes like this and in every single case they had been in the river way too long to be any good.


Another whitewater paddle. This one looked as though it had been there for some time. 


I took a detour down a side channel around a fairly long but narrow island. There was some walking and strainer hopping, but the scenery was different and it had the feel of paddling a smaller stream.


This is a young male Common Merganser.


Old rail bridge (View looking upstream). Cleaned up the left shore down to this in a previous post. So today I worked exclusively on the right until this point.


Trash surrounded by beauty.


Anyone need a butterfly printed pacifier, glasses case or tricycle tire? If so they will probably be next to the one of the trash cans under Treichler's Bridge until later this week. Guessing there will be no takers.  


Thank you to whoever did this. I couldn't easily get out of my kayak because of the shoreline here and it took a couple minutes to pry it out of the tree with my paddle.


Just a view of the river.


This was Darrel and Gale, who I met along my trip today. They were supposed to be doing a paddle from Jim Thorpe to Bowmanstown. I met them well past Bowmanstown and it seems the shuttle service they used didn't properly explain where their takeout was. After talking to them for a good portion of my trip, I know they were intelligent people. They said they even called the service around Bowmanstown and they told them to keep going. The service did make them watch a 15 minute safety video and handed them some nice NRS helmets before they sent them on their way. Keep this in mind if you ever use a shuttle service in the gorge and make sure they clearly explain where the takeout is. I helped them get their boats to the parking area and they called the service to pick them up at the new location. I hope they made it out alright. Before I left I gave them my extra water and they said the shuttle was stuck in Jim Thorpe due to a train across the road. They seemed to have a little bad luck today, but at least it was a nice day for an extremely long paddle. Thank you to Darrel and Gale for letting me photograph you for this blog, really hope they picked you up before dark. 



No comments:

Post a Comment