Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Lehigh River (4-August-2015)


Began my collecting in Slatington again today. Walked down river and it was not an easy journey. Had Penny along, which makes things a little more difficult, but I was glad she was there. In total a full bag of recyclables and a little over a half a bag of non-recyclables were collected.


Before I really got into trash collecting today, Penny and I were walking through thick brush to get to the more open areas along the shore. All of a sudden Penny started pulling me. I looked through the thicket to see Penny sniffing what looked to be a dead animal. I started to pull her back and kept looking at what she was sniffing to at least figure out what it was. To my surprise, it was a raccoon and it wasn't dead. It raised its head up and looked either sickly or half asleep, then it slowly lowered its head back down. It was a younger raccoon and with where it was it could have been perfectly fine and just trying to sleep. I was very happy there was no confrontation between Penny and the raccoon, but I was also glad Penny was there to let me know it was there.


Some small piles today, overall though it was a lot like yesterday with a lot of walking and not much trash. I don't mind days like this and I wish every time I went out I wouldn't find much. 


The river is not the proper place to dispose of your old car batteries. I had to leave this one, it was near the start and I really didn't want to carry this heavy item along with me. Also, the most detrimental liquid component of this battery was already gone.


More nice views of the river today.


Someone put a lot of work into this culvert. Even the floor was lined with rock. I was impressed and I really want to go back sometime with a flashlight and figure out where it starts.


View from inside the culvert.


Found a pile of antique labeled bricks. I will pick them up if they are clearly marked and in good condition. This specific brick type I have found at other locations. On an unbroken brick the full label would read MUNRO.


This type was also in the pile. I don't have one of these yet and I couldn't find one in good condition. I now know to look for WOODLAND bricks though.


It is always amazing what you can find if you are paying attention. I pulled this pick out of the river and I never expect to find picks, but I have found them at multiple locations on the Lehigh now and also on the Delaware.


First time I have ever found a full bag of chips. I also did find another river beer today. The right person could have had themselves an awesome snack. I just put this in my non-recyclable bag and the beer in my pack to add to the growing collection.


This was the largest collection of trash today from a single area. Collecting it was not fun at all. It was strewn throughout multiflora rose. 


Never heard of a Hatchable before, yet I found one on the river bank.


Last pile I cleaned up. Not much, but as always every little bit makes a difference.


Perfectly good river water gun. It has seemed to have a hard life, yet is still perfectly functional.


Ended my trash collecting adventure at the remains of an old bridge.


This section of river is also a nice paddle. 


No comments:

Post a Comment