Monday, January 11, 2016

Bake Oven Knob (11-Jan-2016)


Last year I started this project at Bake Oven Knob, taking out over twenty full garbage bags full of plastics, more than a bag of crushed cans and a multitude of non-recyclable items. All of this was items thrown over the edge. I did continually visit the location doing small clean-ups throughout the year, but I stuck to the trails and the top of the knob. Today was the first time I checked on the bottom since I did the large clean-up there in the spring. 


As soon as I got out of my car I could see multiple items around the lot. I picked these cans up before I even hit the trail. As a result of the amount of cans like the one on the right, if someone were to ask me what I think of when I hear the name Arnold Palmer?, I would automatically say trash. 


If this is your glove it is currently in a garbage bag in my car. You have three days after this post to claim it and dig it out of that bag. After that time it will be thrown out. 


Almost to the top. This is the hardest part of the hike, which really isn't that hard of a hike at all. 


Too many times have I pulled trash out of this specific crevice. You can see the new graffiti in the top of this photo. There is a lot of new tagging now, much of which is offensive in some way or another. As a result Bake Oven Knob is probably not a place you would want to take your kids. 


It isn't everyday I find a toothbrush out in the middle of the woods. Today I did.


Penny looking down on the valley with the trash I collected up to that point. Just before this was taken I did get a look at the bottom. I couldn't see the area that generally has the most trash, but from what I could, a lot of trash has been thrown over since I did the big clean-up last year. It was disappointing to see, yet it was not at all unexpected. 


The view looking east. I did take more photos of the valley and the view, however, they included the rocks and I did not want to post what has been tagged on them. 



The haul from the parking area, trail and top of the Knob. This area really does get too much use, too much trash and too much graffiti. It is sad, areas like this should be kept up not only for others, but especially for the wildlife that lives there. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

No comments:

Post a Comment