Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Lehigh River (12-Jan-2016)



Last week on my way into Allentown I had made a quick stop at Treichler's Bridge and did a small clean-up. Didn't collect much then and was really just checking on the conditions in the area. Today I decided to go back and was going to go further up the bank which I did a couple times last year. I did not make the goal of how far I wanted to go, but I did collect a decent amount of trash on this trip.


With the Lehigh currently high after recent rains I decided to first check out the boat launch and then worked my way around the lower parking lots and back up to the main lot with the trash cans. Pulled the bucket out of the river along with some small pieces of styrofoam. The other items were all from around the lots. There must have been an old dump site where the edge of the lower lot is now. The broken glass I picked up there were all older pieces in the same general spot. 


On the opposite side of the bridge I had the feeling of deja vu. This gatorade bottle was almost in the exact same place that I picked up a water bottle last week.  


I worked my way through the wooded area between the river and the D&L trail very close to the bridge and found much more than I ever would have thought. I really did think I was thorough with the clean-ups over the summer, but there were a lot of bottles that were clearly there longer than that. Like I have said before though, many items are visible now in winter that couldn't be seen through the brush in the summer. The bell was the largest I have ever found. That was a new trash item for me.


Without getting too far at all I had a bag full and with a lot of glass I decided to take it back to the car. I sorted it there, threw out the non-recyclables and left the rest in my car and headed out for another round. 


Snow started falling on my way up the D&L Trail. I have been waiting for it for awhile now and it is arriving pretty late this winter. 


Found a couple buckets and bucket parts between the trail and the river. 


I did get a couple items like this bottle right out of the river.


This rock face of icicles borders the trail. Haven't seen too many scenes like this yet this year. 


To the end of this busted out dam is as far as I was able to make it. Grabbed couple cans and a bottle at the end, but there wasn't as much as there normally is there.


I always see more items going back the trail. Was able to pick up a couple more bottles I had missed on the way out and even this pair of boots. Who just leaves a pair of boots in the woods? 


This was the third trash pile of the day. Mostly non-recyclables, I topped off the one garbage can in the lot, making sure the buckets were over items that might blow out with a little wind. I think I took out a good amount on this trip. Sites like this show the constant need for clean-ups. It seems to be a never-ending cycle and almost as soon as a clean-up is complete more trash is either thrown out or washes up in the same area. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

No comments:

Post a Comment