Monday, January 11, 2016

Lehigh River (11-Jan-2016)


This stop was on my way home from Bake Oven Knob. The park is small and I thought there would just be a few items on the bank here. I was wrong, it still was not a long stop though.


Spring, spring, spring, I can't wait for spring and to get back on the water! I am planning on collecting much more trash off our rivers this year than I did last!


Footwear, an all too common river trash piece. If you go on the river, wear shoes that can be tied or fastened in some way and won't fall off if end up in the drink. If everyone did something that simple, it would eliminate a good deal of river trash. 


There was a lot of trash agains the side of the bridge. I think it was a mixture of wash up from the river and wash down from the road. As you cam see in the photo on the left I picked up the first whitewater bucket of the year.


Found this with all of the trash by the bridge. I thought to myself, who is Afro Jack? I had no clue. Looked him up and apparently he is a singer. 


Although the handle is broke it still works. This will get a second use. These work pretty well as a bailer in either a canoe or kayak. 


Filled the bag and I was ready to go. It was cold and I spent a good amount of time out in it. 


Before I left though I did see a trash can at a pavilion so I had to do a sort and drop off the non-recyclables. It took longer than I wanted, got rid of a good portion of it though that I won't have to deal with later. This ended the second clean-up of the day.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

No comments:

Post a Comment