Sunday, January 3, 2016

Lehigh River (3-Jan-2016)


This is a site I frequent often. It is the Palmerton side of Lehigh Gap and it doesn't matter when you visit there is always new trash. Sites like this are extremely discouraging, but there are things that can be done to change things around. Today I took out a little over a full bag of recyclables, with much more left at the site to do. My next step here it to try to find someplace to go with the non-recyclable trash. This week I will be writing to the Lehigh Gap Nature Center to see if they will be willing to take the waste once I remove it. Their facility is located on the opposite side of the river and hopefully with being a conservation organization they will help. 


More diapers! If people knew just how many used diapers are scattered about I think they would be appalled. I find them so many places. This other bottle was a first for me. There were multiple bottles like this filled with a white powdery substance. I went to pick this one up with to tongs and to my surprise the bottle bent like rubber, I have found these same bottles before and they are made with a rigid plastic. So, whatever was in this container changed the plastic in some way and not knowing what it was I decided it best to leave all of the bottles like it where they were. I do see new things everyday, this was something totally different though. 


These nicely bagged empty oil containers looked to have been thrown down from the road. This location has several litter problems. Items can be thrown down from the expressway above, items wash down the river and items are left by those who use the parking area that is off of an offramp here.


Lehigh Gap is one of my favorite places around. Both sides offer ample hiking opportunities with nice views and the paddle down the Lehigh here is nice day or night. I actually prefer a summer night paddle.


This group of fishermen surprised me today. I don't think I've ever seen a boat on this section in January before. I will point out that if you are on the water at this time of year, it is the law to wear a personal floatation device. As of 2015 new cold water regulations have taken effect and you can be fined if you do not abide by them. 


The riverbank, there was even more items washed up. I guess with the past couple rains we did get higher waters and new deposits. 


This is what was taken out. A lot of non-recyclables were left behind and because of all of the illegally dumped items in the parking lot it really looks like I did nothing at all there. I will try my best to get this site cleaned up much better this year, but for now I just have to stick to the recyclables. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

No comments:

Post a Comment