Monday, January 18, 2016

Owl Creek Reservoir Recreation Area (18-Jan-2016)


My 200th post. Not the most spectacular clean-up, under the current temperatures though, I think it was good enough. As the sign indicates I went to Owl Creek Reservoir Recreation Area which was only opened to the public a couple years back. There are two separate reservoirs with relatively new dams. This is the first time I have seen the upper reservoir filled and I decided to see if trails looped all the way around it. 


The upper reservoir. The ice is slowly closing over the top. I chose to start on the left side of the lake and found a well defined and marked trail. 


There is a small parking area for the disabled and a boat launch near the corner photographed above. There were only these couple bottles around the lot and launch. 


Some more views of the reservoir. I would describe the whole hike around it as calm. Didn't come across any wildlife other than a couple native brook trout in the creek flowing into the lake. Everything was quiet and cold. 


Balloons made up the number one trash item around the lake. These three were all within ten feet of one another. 




Although the dams are new, the two reservoirs have been here for a long time. The amount of work that went into them in the past is astonishing. Most of the small streams that flow into the reservoirs have been hand lined with rock. This is just one of several that I have come across around the two water bodies. 


I was wondering if I would be able to make it over the main stream flowing into the lake. Luckily this homemade bride spanned the water, it was much sturdier than it looks. 


The only trash item on the far side of the lake, another balloon.


I have said in the past that you can find Red-Spotted Newts year round. These two were on the move in the channel that links the two reservoirs. 


This was all. It was nice to see such a large lake that is open to the public that is this clean. I don't think a lot of people know about it yet and the fishing is still catch and release. I hope that it stays clean even as it takes on more visitors, which I am sure the area will see in the future. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

No comments:

Post a Comment