Thursday, January 7, 2016

Jordan Creek Greenway (7-Jan-2016)


The Jordan Creek Greenway, for me today, was a much needed relief from the overabundance of people and traffic in Allentown. It has been years since I have walked the trails there and I was glad I made the stop today. As soon as I parked I got to see the above next to an empty trash can. There is no excuse for this and I made sure the items made there way the extra couple inches into the can.


Before I started out on the trail I collected these from around the parking lot. I did throw away both of the items on the right. Generally the recycling centers around here do not accept the type of plastic the Dunkin Donuts cup is. The chocolate milk jug was a quarter full of frozen milk, I did not want the chance of it thawing out and contents finding its way all over my car. 


The trails throughout the greenway are great for hiking and biking. Most are small dirt paths, this is just the main access path that runs through the middle of the park area. 


Not sure how many people actually take notice or care about these signs. Sometimes I think that they themselves just create more litter I know some people just rip them down. The balloon on the right looked awfully familiar. Pretty sure I found one last year with the same Minnie on it, not in as good of shape though.  


Thought I might see Mallards today, didn't think I would find Mergansers. On the left is a male Common Merganser being followed by a female on the right. These are one of my favorite birds that you can commonly see on rivers in Eastern PA. 


A view of the Jordan Creek from one of the walking bridges. 


I was collecting cans and bottles in a recently flooded and drained area along the creek. There was a small pool covered in ice with the above hole in it. I laughed when I saw the golf ball and thought that it would make a good before and after. 


What you can't tell with this photo was this can in the ice was below a three foot drop in the bank. I didn't know how easy the can would come out and I had my fingers crossed I wouldn't fall in. For the second time today I was lucky and this time I walked away with the can, a smile and a perfectly round hole in the ice. 


Wanted to keep going, but my pack was just a tad full and I hadn't brought any garbage bags with me. 


By the time I returned to the car I found some items I missed on the way in and had my sweatshirt pouch filled as well. I still had time for another clean-up so I headed to another section of the park. 


The second access I chose is a little more popular. There a disc golf course follows and sometimes crosses the creek. There wasn't as much trash at this access, but after some walking I began to find items here and there.


Hopeful I would collect another full pack of recyclables I deposited these non-recyclables at the first trash can I got to. I would like to point out that throughout this entire section of the Jordan Creek Greenway there are a good number of trash cans. 


This is hole nine. If you have never seen a disc gold hole before, well, now you have. 


Another view of the Jordan Creek. 



Not as much on the second trek through the Jordan Creek Greenway. Any trash taken out matters though. The three stops today did add up and I think it was a productive day. My car is in the shop tomorrow for a much needed oil change and I will be gone on a day trip on Saturday. I may try to get out tomorrow afternoon, if I can't make it though, look for my next post on Sunday. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

No comments:

Post a Comment