Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Beltzville State Park: Part 2 (6-Jan-2016)


Since I was right there, I just went across the road to the Pine Run Launch. Before I started this project I had done clean-ups around the launch itself, but this was my first stop there on a thorough search for trash. 


Starting off I walked the field edge around the parking lot and down to the lake. I then followed the lake shore up as far as I could go and then back down to the launch.


From the start I wasn't finding much, but throughout this short hike I just kept finding more and more.


This unopened Mike's from 2009 must have been there for awhile. Too many people drink in this park, which tells me that maybe the DCNR and the Fish & Boat Commission isn't doing the best job at patrolling. I believe more fines would lead to less drinking and therefore less trash. Less trash would be a nice thing. 


Some interesting items from around the launch. On the left not only did I find a leather binding for a bible, but also the large plastic bag that is underneath it in the photo. I used the bag for the trash items and it allowed me to pick up a lot more today. On the right was a deflated beach ball.


Anyone in need of a slightly used Iron Pigs ball cap? It's free in a garbage can at Beltzville. The only lure of the day is on the right. Missing a hook and a little paint, but I think it would still work.


This was on the launch itself. A fairly large knife, when I got home I figured out what it was used for. It was cold enough today I couldn't really smell anything, but when I brought this home, I quickly realized it reeked of fish. 


After the launch I followed paths that paralleled the inlet for Pine Run. It just kept getting trashier and trashier.


At this point I filled my pack with recyclables and the found non-recyclable bag was getting heavy. After packing this pile away I decided to call it quits for the day. 


On the way back the trail I noticed this on the trailside. Yup, another diaper. This time I had a non-recyclable bag and there were trash cans at the launch. I picked it up with the tongs and too my surprise it was frozen solid and about ten pounds or more. Went right in the bag. 


This is everything from around the launch. Coupled with the other pile I got across the road I think I had a pretty productive day.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project here: Help Fund Taking Out the Trash

No comments:

Post a Comment