Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Appalachian Trail (17-Nov-2015)


After the clean-ups by the Schuylkill, I wanted to get out hiking. This access to the Appalachian Trail below Port Clinton was the perfect stop. 


As soon as I pulled into the lot I knew I had some work to do before I got on the trail. Once I cleaned up around the lot I crossed the road really quick to pick up a couple bottles. The next thing I knew I was walking back to my car with a whole bag. In the parking lot itself there were also a couple full garbage bags and what looked to be a cooler. I did not touch them. I was just not in the mood to deal with mystery bags and I have no place to take them to just throw them out. 


I don't know why I have never hiked this section of the AT before. I have hiked the other side of this gap, just never bothered to stop at this one. This side had better views. 


From here I was able to get a better perspective of the river and a good view of the dam I visited earlier in the day.


Found a fire ring and of course these items were strewn through the brush around it. Not as bad as other sites, but still stuff to pick up.


This looked to be the highest point and the sun was starting its decent, so I decided to start mine as well. 


Thought this was one of the coolest homemade markers I have seen on the trail. Looks like it has seen some rough times, but is maintained.


This was it from the trail and after putting this in the bags in the car, I should have called it a day. The trail lead across the road and down to the river, I just had to check it out.



Some of the views are nice, but it was party site after party site and lots of trash. 


This was around just one of the many fire pits. I was tired by this time and the sun was falling fast, I really didn't want to find all of this.  


After cleaning up most of what was along the river, I started back to the car on a different path than I took down. I found this, which looks like another party area. There were three types of items here. Coke cans, Ramen containers and Reece's peanut butter cup wrappers, what went on here? The combination does not sound good to me and a lot of these items were consumed by one or many people. I choose to think it was just one person. 


More than two bags total for the day. This from both locations, two different posts. Had a good hike and took out some trash. I would say it was a decent day.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at:gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment