Friday, November 13, 2015

Lehigh River (13-Nov-2015)


Close to a bag and a half at Treichler's Bridge today. I didn't go as far as I wanted to, but I think this amount was good enough for the day. 


To my surprise there are now three new parking areas at this site and a brand new boat launch. I know I haven't been here since about mid summer, but still it felt like they just appeared out of nowhere. 


Of course right next to the boat launch I picked up my first piece of trash and it just happened to be another unopened river beer. 


Same old thing on the banks of the Lehigh. 


I never understood why people would use can cozy. I think it would just be a pain and I don't imagine it keeping the contents cold that long. To me it is just another piece of unnecessary garbage I find on the riverside. After finding this I worked on cleaning up under Treichler's bridge. I lost my lens cap at some point, so I took the trash I had already collected back to my car with the camera. I then spent about an hour looking for the cap. Not fun. Finally found it. Went back to the car, got my camera, opened a new bag and set out up the river. 


If this was still whole I could have used it for this coming winter. 


Third message in a bottle this year. This one included two small faded messages. The first "Hi, To whoever finds this I hope this message brings you happy." The Second "Hi, To whoever finds this I hope this message brings you love." Both had small doodles below the message. It did not bring me either, it just brought me another bottle to take to a recycling center. 


 A debris pile and the bottles and styrofoam I pulled out of it.


This past year I have seen many different roadside construction items washed up on river banks. I know it isn't PennDot that is putting them in the river, but they should still be responsible for the items removal if it was their property. 


A look upriver towards the old dam. 


Anyone need a free truck bed liner? I would be happy to help you remove it.


I wonder how many years it took for this to happen.


A look downriver from atop the old dam. 


On the dam Penny didn't seem to be too happy, I managed to slam my shin into the side of the dam and we had almost a full bag, so I decided we would head back. I think for both Penny and I the walk back on the D&L Trail was the nicest part of the whole trip today. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment