Saturday, November 21, 2015

Fort Halifax Park (20-Nov-2015)


Fort Halifax Park was not the intended destination for the day, just a short stopping point. I set out with the goal of climbing to the top of each side of the AT in the Susquehanna gap. It really wasn't meant to be a trash collecting trip, but as always it turned out to be one. The gap on the Susquehanna is about a two hour drive from my house and by the time I noticed the sign for Fort Halifax Park I was ready to get out and stretch my legs. The park seemed to be newer and compared to most historic parks I have been to it was a little strange. I had to park between an old barn and farmhouse that looked like it was not long abandoned. It really just felt like I was walking through someones property. There were no signs that explained anything about Fort Halifax, one map and a sign with the list of monetary donors was all I could find. The map did point out the location of a dig site where the fort once stood, but I never found it. I think the dig might be a future project. When I checked out the river I immediately found trash, so I decided to walk the shoreline and do some collecting.


Most of the items found were scattered throughout the bank. This debris pile held the greatest amount of plastics.


When I first went to view the river I did not have my pack on me. This was the first round of collecting because it was all I could carry when walking Penny as well. 


The second round of collecting filled my backpack. I don't think I will ever comprehend how so many people choose to litter. This is just from a very small section of an incredibly large river and I am sure the banks in most areas are the same. 


After emptying the second round I set off for the third and this is when I went looking for the dig site listed on the map. I found the campsite also listed and picked up these beer cans from around it. When I got home I looked up Fort Halifax it was really insignificant. I packed up this last bit of trash and set off to my main destination.  

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment