Sunday, November 1, 2015

Sand Quarry Road (1-Nov-2015)


Just under a full bag of trash today. There were more tires and other non-recyclable items at this site than trash I can take with me. The last time I was here there was a large pile of tires in the pull off. Those were gone today but some other things have taken their place...


TVs. Not something that belongs in the woods, on the woods edge or on any roadside. There are proper ways to dispose of them. Most of the time this does cost money, but there are free electronic recycling events that do occur throughout the year. I tried looking up a schedule of these events for Carbon County online and I did not have any luck. So, using Pennsylvania's DEP website, I was able to find the e-mail address of the Carbon County Recycling Coordinator. I sent the coordinator an e-mail asking if there is a schedule of these events. If I get a response and their is I will post the events in a future post. 


It is getting a little cold for dragonflies, but I did see several today. This individual looked to be warming up on the side of this Arby's cup. When I took the cup it moved on to one of the TV pieces.  


Coffee cups and beer cans. Interesting grouping of items. 


Paint cans and tires. Both items are found on either side of this road. If I had somewhere to take them I think I could probably remove 100 tires from this site alone.


Anyone in the market for some older car seats. If so they are yours free if you go pick them up. Even if I had a place to go with these items, there is no way to get them out of there with my car. Not everything was trash today...


When you think of November do you think Amphibians? Most have tucked themselves away for winter by now, but there are some species that you can come across year round depending on conditions. The tadpole in the photo on the left could be one of two species. It is most likely a Greenfrog tadpole, but the other possibility is a Bullfrog. Both of these species take longer than a season to develop out of the tadpole stage. In the photo on the left is a Red-Spotted Newt. Adult Red-Spotted Newts, such as this one can be found year round. They are aquatic and if you know of a body of water that they inhabit, that doesn't completely freeze over, you can see them even on the coldest day of the year. Juvenile Red-Spotted Newts are called Red Efts, they are terrestrial, bright orange and would be rare site to see at this time of year.


Can you see the Red-Spotted Newt in this photo? Only a small portion of it is visible.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment