Saturday, November 14, 2015

Francis E. Walter Dam (14-Nov-2015)


The second trip out today. I decided this afternoon to do a run to Francis E. Walter Dam. Two hikes, one on each side of the dam, didn't yield that much trash. A pack full both hikes and the above is half of the total collected on these hikes. 


The small falls that lead down to the dam were spectacular today, not a single piece of trash was found around them! 


The reservoir right now is drawn down and you can drive right through the bottom. There is even a parking lot. I never park at the bottom. I just imagine being off hiking and watching the water rise over my car from a distance. That's just me though, I am sure it is perfectly safe to park there.  


Small piles here and there walking the road. 



 What a view.

All of these that I have found this year still look like they were on store shelves yesterday. Some readers might not even know what this is. 


From my view this is where the Lehigh River begins. I know on a map it extends past the backed up waters of the dam, but I ignore that and believe this is the start. From this point to White Haven is the only stretch of the Lehigh I have never paddled. Way to late this year. I have to make it a priority next! 


This is the furthest up the river trash can enter and it is also a popular fishing hole. Grabbed all the trash I could see. 


Seeing this really makes me want to paddle it! Seeing the trees, shows me it is the wrong time. 


Rocks to the sky. Francis E. Walter Dam is a place to see and there are places to hike around. Just please take out everything you bring in. Also, remember that the dam is surrounded by State Gamelands, know the laws and hunting seasons. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at:gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment