Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Recycling Day! (4-Nov-2015)


It has been a couple weeks since I have done a recycling sort and this afternoon was nice so I grabbed the bags and got started. Only about 14 full bags and today wasn't nearly as time consuming as the past couple sorts with the massive amounts from the Schuylkill. In total there were 1094 plastic bottles, 433 cans, 34 jugs, 19 oil containers and I ended up with two bags of non-recyclable items. The non-recyclables were mostly jugs that had started to photo-degrade, styrofoam containers and assorted wrappers and other items picked up on hikes. 


My last Schuylkill trip was included in this sort and I found that I much prefer sorting hiking recyclables to river recyclables. 


Not as much trash as previous sorts, but this still took several hours to sort and take to the recycling depot. 


In all there were 1,580 items in this sort not including pots, glass bottles and items I decided should not go to recycling. I think for Fall this was a pretty nice haul. The upcoming sorts will probably be smaller. I just don't find as much trash hiking as I do paddling. 

Do you know of natural areas that need a good Fall cleaning? If so leave a comment or e-mail me at jrb2765@gmail.com and I will do my best to get to it. Always looking for new places to go!

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment