Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Nesquehoning (11-Nov-2015)


The more I go out, the more trash I collect, the more trash I see that I cannot deal with, the more I realize it needs to be done and more people need to care. How do you get people to care? I started this blog to give awareness to this problem and to try to do something about it. I feel like I need to do more and I don't know how. Two bags of recyclables taken out today and with them I found a multitude of dump sites that I can't deal with. It kills me that there is so much out there and if I just had a place to take it I could do something about it.


This was in addition to the bags above. I cleaned up the parking lot before I headed out an access road and this was probably about the tenth clean-up this year of the lot and there is always new items here.


This access road runs through private property that is open to the public. You are allowed to hunt, hike and even drive this road. The driving part is what I believe leads to the main trash problems. 


If the road was gated, with restricted access, these items most likely wouldn't be there. Yes, these particular items look old and probably are, but there is a lot of newer stuff out there as well. 


There is a Game Commission gun range located not far from this area. I think people choose to come here instead, because not only can they shoot, but they can drink and set fires as well. I personally have no problem with any of these things, I just think if you do them you should clean up after yourself. 


I really can't imagine what goes on here at times. I feel I must once again point out that burning anything but untreated firewood is extremely bad for your health if you are sitting around it. People that utilize this area likely don't care, but they should know this, especially the ones who lit the bucket on the right on fire, who knows what the contents even were. 


The hike up and this site filled my first bag. I left it on the side of the access road to pick up on the way back and continued on for more. 


More piles further in that I can't do anything about. An entire roof and more treated wood. 


 I wanted to hike much further in than this point, but this was it. Another makeshift gun range and an extremely large pile of treated wood and fire pits. Penny was with me and I had to leash her to a tree away from the site while I worked on collecting recyclables. Lots of nails, broken glass and metal shards. Nothing can be done about this. The owners don't seem to care, police can't patrol it and I feel like the locals think this is an acceptable way of doing things.


Filled the second bag quickly. Back by the shooting area, there were not only shot bottles and cans, but TVs, other electronics and several shot VHS tapes including Toy Story and Star Wars. After seeing all of this and having two full bags I had no desire to go any further. So I retrieved Penny and started back to collect the other bag on the roadside.


Of course Penny takes all of the credit for removing the trash. 


On the way out I noticed this nice pile of tires I overlooked on the way in. Always more. 

Where are all those inspired by Muir, Carson, Leopold and others like them? Why are these old problems still a problem today? Why are they getting worse? We should be past this by now and my blog and the work I am doing shouldn't be needed. Some days I feel extremely frustrated and this is one of them, can you tell?

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash




No comments:

Post a Comment