Sunday, November 22, 2015

Beltzville State Park (22-Nov-2015)


Another round at Beltzville. It is such a large lake I forget sometimes about all the different accesses. The one I decided on today is on the opposite side of the lake from the office and the only way to get to it is on a small gravel road that does have washouts from time to time. This trip the road looked like it had recently been worked on and was in good shape. I wish I could say the same thing for the parking lot. The lot didn't have any washouts, but was full of trash. As soon as I opened my car door I was picking up items. 


When I saw the amount of trash in the lot I decided my goal for the day was at least a full bag of trash. One piece of trash in the grocery bag in this photo is the reason I did not reach my goal. When I find styrofoam worm containers I always empty out the contents before taking them. This time that was a mistake. Atrocious, would be the best way to describe the smell of the gooey contents I tried to empty from one. I have been picking up trash all summer long and this is the worst thing I have found so far and I have found some horribly smelly things. 


I pressed on and the smell was just there and not going away. 


By the time I put these items together I couldn't take it anymore. I was done. I had to get rid of the grocery bag with the bait containers in it. 


I snapped this photo and was off to my car. 


This was it the smelly bag, not a full one and I didn't even spend much time collecting. I threw it in my car, got Penny in and we were off. The nearest trash cans were all the way on the other side of the lake, but that was closer than home, I got to them as quickly as possible. I threw the bait containers away and went immediately to the lake to wash off my hands. That didn't help. We were at the park, Penny needed a walk, we went and the smell came with us. When we returned to the car it was even worse inside. If you learn only one thing from this post, don't be afraid to clean-up trash, just don't open any containers. 

I will be going back to this site at Beltzville soon. I have to contact their office to see if they still have any dumpsters that are usable. There is a lot of non-recyclables at the site and the tiny trash can just won't cut it. I am completely worn out, tomorrow I am taking a break and I will be back at it again on Tuesday.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment