Friday, November 27, 2015

Beltzville State Park (27-Nov-2015)


The plan this morning was to just take Penny out on a hike and then later in the afternoon go out and do a clean-up on my own. Of course things did not go as planned. We started our hike at the Preachers Camp access at Beltzville and headed down the lake on the Trinity Gorge Trail towards where I had done two clean-ups earlier this week. I did not even take any bags along, just my pack and not far into the hike I wished I had. 


I think Penny is sick of the whole routine. Her hike gets interrupted while I pick up piece after piece on the trailside. 


This was the first pack full, actually it was a bit more than a pack some of the items I had to carry. Loaded this in the car and set back out on the same trail. 


Not far along on the second trip out I noticed some plastic plant pots a little ways off the trail in a pine grove. That led me to bottles and the pile above.


The second pack of the day, it too was more than I can fit in my pack. Finding the plastic planters helped some. I filled those and it made it much easier to carry contained instead of loose items.


Something useful on the third trip out the trail. These needle nose pliers weren't even rusted shut so they will be getting a second life. 


This past year I had seen a small segment on one of the local news shows that was blaming the geese for the E. coli in the lake. Now I understand they are a big factor, but the amount of diapers I have seen around the lake aren't helping things. 


Looking up the lake, a nice break from all of the trash. There was a surprising amount of boats out on the water. I think this time last year there was ice. 


Another pile and this one just from around one small fishing spot. The right is what it all looked like packed up. There were a lot of chicken liver containers I just couldn't get to. Many plants with thorns in this area and I needed my tongs. I will be back, maybe tomorrow. Fishermen should respect the areas in which they fish, it seems too often around this lake that does not occur. It is mind boggling how many chicken liver containers I have already picked up here and how many are left on this lakes shores.


The third haul of the day. 


All together I came very close to filling a contractor bag. I don't think I will be getting out again this afternoon, but may go for a night hike. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash


No comments:

Post a Comment