Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Route 93 (18-Nov-2015)


This section of route 93 is right outside of Nesquehoning. I tend not to do road clean-ups that much, but I may be doing more in the coming weeks. I picked this site in particular due to a large wetland that 93 runs through. The wetland flows into Jeans Run, which travels down the Broad Mountain joining the Nesquehoning Creek at the bottom, the Nesquehoning Creek then runs into the Lehigh River. Potentially items discarded off of the side of 93 in this section could traverse that entire route or just end up anywhere along it.    


In a perfect world before the Game Commission did a prescribed burn in this area they would have first done a litter clean-up at least on the roadside. Instead they set fire not only to the underbrush, but also to a good amount of trash. There were many burned items, most of which can no longer be recycled. 



The wetland on the east side of the road is more open with a few taller trees, on the right it is thick with smaller trees and others woody plants. If you drive by this area in the spring keep your windows open and listen for the songs of Spring Peepers and Wood Frogs! 


This is the Common Cattail. A native aquatic plant, like its name states it is common throughout PA wetlands. Non-native species, like phragmites, can out compete this plant and lead to its extripation from an area. In this wetland there are sections that phragmites has already taken over.


Until you do a roadside clean-up, I don't think you will fully realize just how many people drink and drive. More than half the cans I collected are beer cans and most of the roadside clean-ups have the same results. 


My goal for the day was two bags. By the time I got to this speed limit sign my first bag was full, I headed across the road and started on the next. Whenever I do road clean-ups I like to use markers as stopping points it allows me to pick up where I left off on the next time out. 


This just isn't a normal November. Flower's should just not be blooming now.


In total I took out a little over two bags and the section of road I worked on wasn't that big at all. I wonder just how many tons of trash are sitting on Pennsylvania's roadsides right now? 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at:gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment