Thursday, November 5, 2015

Lehigh River: Lehigh Gap Nature Center (5-Nov-2015)


After yesterday I thought the opposite side of the river from where I was could use a cleaning again. I was right. One full bag today. That is all I took with me and I am sure I can fill several more at this site when I go back. I only took one bag so I wouldn't spend the entire day picking up trash. Once it was full I then took Penny on a good hike on the Lehigh Gap Nature Center's trails and that is included in this post as well.


I picked the perfect parking spot. As soon as I stepped out of the car these were right in front of me. It's nice that people take the time to visit places like the Lehigh Gap Nature Center and just decide to leave their refuse where they please instead of taking it to one of the many trash cans located around the property.


If you have read this blog enough, you'll know the river was the same old thing. Washed up trash, after washed up trash. It gets pretty repetitive, but there are always new items, like the nice purple neoprene water bottle holder. Someone probably paid a good amount for that, even has a nice clip on it so you can attach it to something and not loose it.


Thought I was done seeing these for the year. I have so many of these whitewater buckets at this point it is ridiculous. Any suggestions on what to do with them?


A football in relatively good condition. This I can find a new home for and will get some use before it is eventually discarded again. 


Seriously, how many unopened beer cans are in the Lehigh? Two more today and this summer I have collected over 40 of them just from the Lehigh. 


Mmm... River mayonnaise! There is nothing better after a long day of collecting trash than sitting down for a sandwich covered in river mayonnaise and washing it down with a nice warm river beer. Well... maybe I can think of a couple things that would be better than that. 


I just cannot get these before and after shots lined up right.


If you are going through Lehigh Gap, stop by at the Nature Center. There are plenty of trails to hike, the D&L trail runs through the property and can be biked and the center is often open to the public. Stop by and see what they have to offer!


After dropping the trash off at the car Penny and I headed up the LNE Trail. It is a nice hike and you can connect with the D&L trail to complete just over a two mile loop. I will caution if there is snow or ice this trail is extremely unsafe and during these conditions should only be attempted by hikers familiar with tricky conditions. 


Sadly the trash collecting didn't stop. There wasn't much, but still an annoyance when I just wanted to walk. The gatorade bottle was unopened. I don't know how long it was sitting there, but was not the right color for what it was labeled. 


Even on a gloomy day the view is still nice in the Gap.


This was the photo I wanted to see yesterday. It shows the canal bridge when it was functioning in the early 1900's. The LGNC property has several of these information posts along the trails. I also find them in random places when I am out and about. They are always interesting. I like the ones like this that give you a perspective of change in an area with the historic photo. 


Across the river the point I hiked to yesterday where the Aquashicola Creek joins the Lehigh. 


Looking back across the Gap. 


Not much trash on the hike, but it was still more than I wanted to pick up. I hope if you are in the area you too can hike and enjoy the trails here. Please don't leave items behind though. Enough people already do.

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

No comments:

Post a Comment