Saturday, November 7, 2015

Appalachian Trail (7-Nov-2015)


Hiked Little Gap today. Wanted to take another try at making a time lapse video. Collected almost half a bag. It wasn't that long ago that I have cleaned this section and it really surprises me that there was this much left behind in such a short period of time. 


From the very start at the parking lot there were new items. 


On the top of the mountain it was the same old thing. Cans, bottles, all left between the cracks and crevices in the rocks. After setting up my camera I spent most of my time searching one outcrop for hidden trash. Some old, some new. In the time I was there a good number of people hiked up, took in the view and hiked back down.


Yeah, this makes the woods look much better. If only the people that do this kind of thing took the time to look around and notice the small wonderful things that can be found in nature, maybe they would stop ruining it. I know I have seen many mushrooms, more colorful, more detailed than this one and they actually belong in the woods. 


This is what turned out with the time lapse. 

You too can help with taking out the trash! If you get out hiking take a grocery bag with you, give it a second use and fill it with trash while you are out! Every bit helps. You can also help contributing to this project at: gofundme.com/takingoutthetrash

2 comments:

  1. Hi John -

    I reached out to ATC (the Appalachian Trail Conservancy) about removing the graffiti and we'll try and schedule a work trip in the spring when it's warm out to do that. The chemical paint remover "elephant snot" apparently works best when it's warm.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Very Much Dan! If you need an extra hand let me know. It seems every hike I go on there is new graffiti. It would be great to see some of it removed.

    ReplyDelete